You will need your University user ID and password to log into these computers. If you have forgotten your password you can use the password reset tool here https://selfcare.sunderland.ac.uk/cgi-bin/resetpassword. If you don't have your username, contact IT support on 0191 515 3333 and we'll help get these details to you.
Please note that our IT regulations specifically forbid the installation of non-supported software on our computers. This is to ensure that our computers are always in a suitable state of readiness for the next user, and there are no conflicts between software. University Student Desktop Service PC's shut down automatically after 30 minutes of inactivity. Any work that is not saved will be lost. Always make sure, therefore, that you save your work frequently.
Some other Do's and Don'ts on Saving Work.
Do save your work as soon as you create a new document as this will enable many auto save features of applications. Microsoft Office applications have these features.
Don't work directly from an email attachment as the changes you make will not be saved. Save the attachment somewhere else before you start to work on it.
Do always create multiple backups of your work as you don't know when your PC or memory stick will suffer hardware failure and you may lose all of your hard work.
Don't leave your SDS PC locked for more than 25 minutes whilst logged in. Aside from the security issues after 30 minutes you will be logged out the PC so another student can use the machine and any of your data that wasn't saved will be lost.
The software packages currently available on these PC's are:
Internet Explorer 11, Firefox and Google Chrome
Microsoft Windows 7 (Service Pack 1)
- Adobe Creative Cloud 2021
- Acrobat DC 2021
- After Effects - Animation and creative compositing software
- Audition - Cross-platform audio editor
- Bridge – Digital asset management software
- Character Animator
- Illustrator – Vector art and illustration tool
- InCopy - Writing and copy editing software
- InDesign – Page design and typography tool
- Lightroom - Digital Photography software
- Media Encoder - Video encoder
- Photoshop – Image editing software
- Prelude – Video ingest and logging tool
- Premiere Pro – Video editing software
- Autograph 3.3 - Tools for teaching maths
- ChemDraw Prime 20
- Deducer 2.15.0 - Must be used with R (graphical add-on)
- EndNote x9 - Bibliography manager
- Java Development Kit - Allows development of Java applications
- K-Lite Mega Codec Pack - Adds support for various video and audio formats
- Kinovea 0.8.24 - Sports video analysis and editing tool
- LongoMatch 1.3.7 - Sports video analysis tool
- Mindjet MindManager 2016 - Mind mapping, visualisation tool
- Microsoft Office 365 including Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint and Teams
- Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2019 - integrated development environment (IDE) from Microsoft, used to develop
- computer programsQSR NCapture for Internet Explorer - Web capturing tool
- QSR Nvivo 12
- OpenSesame 3.1.6 - Create experiments for psychology, neuroscience and experimental economics
- R 4 - Statistical tool
- SPSS 27 - Statistical analysis tool
- SPSS AMOS 27 - Equation modelling tool
- VLC Media Player
- WinDiets 2008 - Analysis tool for diet and nutrition
- Zotero 4 - Reference management tool